Do I need planning permission for a loft conversion? Good question. When it comes to converting your loft space and planning permission, the requirements vary. Fortunately, we have put together this easy guide to help you understand the ins and outs of planning permission for loft conversions.
Do I Need Planning Permission for a Loft Conversion?
When it comes to making alterations to the roof of your house, you generally do not require planning permission. This is because it tends to fall under the rules of ‘permitted development’. However, ‘permitted development’ does have conditions which must be met when converting your loft.
There are six rules under permitted development which may affect your requirement for planning permission. These rules typically relate to dormer loft conversions as the involve extending out from your roof.
- The conversion should not be on the front or side of your house facing a road.
- The distance between the end of the dormer and the boundary of your property should be greater than 10 meters.
- The development should also not be higher than the existing roof line (this height does not include chimneys).
- All of the dormers added to your roof should cover less than half of your roof.
- At least 30 cm should be left between the dormers and the edge of the roof.
- The conversion cannot be within a conservation area.
The Requirement for Planning Permission
Should your roof not meet the requirements outlined in permitted development, you will need to apply for planning permission. Additionally, if your home is a listed building, you will require planning permission. While these are the main things you need to consider, you should always check with your local council to ensure that there are no additional conditions or building regulations which need to be met. You can find out more about planning permission here.
Convert Your Loft with CP Builders and Joiners
As reliable Glasgow builders, CP Builders and Joiners are here to help you through every step of your loft conversion. From working out “do I need planning permission for a loft conversion?” and through the application process to the building and completion of your loft conversion, we are on hand every step of the way. Talk to our fantastic team today to find out how we can help you convert your loft space.
A loft conversion is a great way to save energy at home, have a look at our last blog article for more energy saving tips.